Monday, April 8, 2013

Zanzibar - Part I - Intro, Dolphins


Zanzibar –Part I
Upon doing some quick math, I concluded that taking a RT flight was 10 USD more than taking a 2-3 hour RT ferry, and therefore TOTALLY worth flying into Zanzibar. The flight makes Zanzibar feel like it’s a hop, skip, and a jump away. Within 15 minutes of being in air, we landed at the Zanzibar airport.  Our airport taxi into Stone Town cost us $10USD.  Here we picked up a Ryan Gosling look alike from Texas named __. 
Turned out our stranger was actually visiting from Sudan where he was working closely with Drs. w/o borders.  He worked as some structural engineer, and claimed his biggest threats included possibly dying from being shot (gun violence) or being burned while in the health center there.  Both pretty scary possibilities to face.  Moreover, he apparently lived in a hut, much like the one described earlier when discussing the Maasai.  Overall, he  felt the risks were worth it.  Kudos to him. He turned out to be an entertaining companion for our car ride.
Upon arrival, our hotel, 1001 Nights, turned out to be a multicolored 2 bedroom apt with a private bathroom and dramatic mosquito netting around the beds.  We quickly arranged for a $35pp Dolphin tour.  This turned out to be the MOST amazing part of the trip for me.  (PS… we over paid for that trip by a lot…another couple we went w paid only $29…but that’s what comes of planning things last minute). 



The next morning, 2 dramamines later, I found myself face to face with a pod of 5 wild bottlenose dolphins, all doing a mating dance within 2 feet of me! One playfully bit the other, while I spastically fumbled for my camera hoping to capture the moment.  Turns out, im not very coordinated with flippers, a camera, snorkeling goggles that don’t fit and can’t be tightened!  Sadly, I have nothing but a video of the event. But, I KNOW in my heart that I will never forget the beautiful sight of a dolphin looking me in the eye as it brushes past, playfully tugging at another nearby dolphin. This memory I shall take with me to sleep every night of this trip.  Sigh.
We also got a chance to snorkel and see a part of the reef by Kimikazi.





No comments:

Post a Comment